THE PELLETING MILL
Turning Waste Into a Valuable, Sustainable Resource
Visual Example –Pelleting Mill
Pelleting -Core Benefits
- The main advantages of densified fuels, compared to non-densified ones are the following:
- An increased bulk density (from 80-150 kg/m3 for straw or 200 kg/m3 for sawdust to 600-700 kg/m3 after densification), resulting in lower transportation costs, reduced storage volume and easier handling.
- A lower moisture content (humidity <10%), favouring a long conservation and minor losses of product during the storage period.
- An increased energy density and more homogeneous composition, resulting in better combustion control possibilities and thereby higher energy efficiency during combustion .
Types of Feedstock Used In Pelleting
- Below is a small selection of waste products “feedstock” used in pelleting
- Wood waste including sawdust, pallets, salvaged value add wood, wood chips, ….
- Hay, wheat, Hemp, harvested Cannabis, Corn Stocks & Cobs, Corn Stover, Rice Husks
- Sorted Municipal Solid Waste (glass, metals, organics and plastics removed).
- Animal Manure, Human municipal wastewater sludge (bio-solids).
- Waste fabrics from clothing manufacturing and recycling.
- Olive Pomace.
- Grape Marc / Pomace.
- Leaves, Brush Clippings, Grasses.
- Standing trees infected with Parasites (no marketable value as lumber).
Note: plant configuration will vary based on type of Feedstock, Input & Output Volumes, and Markets Served.
Pelleting Mill –Steps
- Waste stream is delivered to the pelleting facility.
- The waste is sent through a Hammer Mill to homogenise the product.
- The waste needs to be uniform, and well blended.
- Homogenised product is fed to the dryer.
- The dryer removes any excess moisture above 10%.
- Stable, dry, homogenised waste is sent to the shaker table.
- The Shaker table removes “fines”, which are reused in the process.
- The product is now sent to the Pelleting line.
- The dry, homogenised waste is compressed under pressure to extrude a stable pelleted product.
- Pellets are cooled and sent to the bagging line.
- Final product is Bulk Bagged, and transported to market.
Market Advantages to Pelleting Waste Streams
- Most advanced countries are deploying highly efficient Biomass Boilers/Heaters to replace fossil fuels.
- Although this move is admirable, it in fact creates another non-sustainable draw on dwindling natural resources.
- Most, if not all heating pellets are derived from Virgin Forests. Cutting down large tracks of Virgin Forest is not a sustainable practice, as many of these forest are not re-planted, and or will take a generation to reach a marketable size.
- Most countries are now banning all Virgin Forest pellets.
- There is a deficit of heating pellets in the European market that exceeds 12-million/ tons/ year, and growing.
- Below is a small selection of markets served
- Heating – pellets are used to efficiently fire biomass boilers, creating heat and electricity.
- Bedding – safe bedding for animals, providing higher absorption rates than traditional bedding.
- Absorption – used in the oil & Gas industry (safer, smarter, and more cost effective than chemical absorbents).
- Fertiliser – slow release, higher concentrate of beneficial nutrients, safer and more cost effective than synthetic chemical compounds.
- Hemp – produces a higher yield of CBD oil upon extraction.
- Animal Feed – processing a higher nutrient value, organic, safer, and healthier for the animal (sustainable husbandry practices)
What We Offer
- More than 20 years experience.
- Backed by the industry leading manufacturers.
- We partner with individuals, and entities looking to make a difference, solve the issue, while creating value in a sustainable cost effective fashion.
- We provide “Turn Key” facilities to manage all manner of feedstock.
- Our team assesses the opportunity, analyzes the feedstock, secures end-market clients, engineers the best applicable technology platform, secures permitting, executes and maintains the project to the highest environmental standards.
- We assume the risk, finance and place the technology platform, while sharing the bottom line with our partners.